Lums Pond State Park is built around the largest freshwater pond in Delaware. The park features excellent fishing, sports facilities, hiking trails and more on its 1790 acres on the north side of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal. Lums Pond itself covers 200 acres, and although there is no swimming allowed, boat rentals and fishing provide water-bound recreation in the summer months. A boat launching ramp and two piers allow easy access to the water. Before the pond existed, St. Georges Creek flowed through the hardwood forest and was the site of several Native American hunting camps. The creek was dammed in the early 1800's when the C & D canal was built. Water from the pond was used to fill the locks of the canal and power a small mill. This area was first used as a state park in 1963.